Short Term Scientific Missions
Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) are institutional visits aimed at supporting individual mobility, fostering collaboration between individuals. One or two calls per year will invite applications for STSM. The latest call can be found here.
STSM applicants must be engaged in an official research programme as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or can be employed by, or affiliated to, an institution, organisation or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research. The institutions / organisation or legal entity where applicants pursue their main strand of research are considered as Home institutions. The Host institution is the institution / organisation that will host the successful applicant. For more information, please consult the Vademecum at the Documents page.
The evaluation of each received STSM application is coordinated by the STSM Coordinator, Dr Monika Kaluzna, and performed by the STSM Evaluation Committee consisting of the Chair of the COST Action, the Vice Chair, the four Working Group Leaders (or Vice Leaders if a Leader devolves this duty).
The evaluation criteria defined by the Management Committee consider
- Scientific quality of abstract/application,
- Relevance of the participation for the Action,
- Diversity and representativeness of contributions with respect to the COST Action,
- Gender balance, Country and Career stage, with specific encouragement for Early Career Investigators (ECI) and applicants from Inclusiveness Target Countries (ITC).
Before submission of your application, please familiarise yourself with the following documents:
ITC Conference Grants
Conference Grants are aimed at supporting PhD students and ECI researchers from Participating ITC to attend international science and technology related conferences not specifically organised by the COST Action. Suggestions and applications for Conference Grants will be considered throughout the time span of the COST Action.
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Conference Grants are exclusively reserved for PhD students and ECI’s with a primary affiliation in an institution located in an ITC.
- The applicant must make an oral/poster presentation at the conference in question and must be listed in the official event/conference programme. The main subject of the oral presentation / poster presentation / speech at the approved conference must be on the topic of the Action and must acknowledge COST.
- The participation of each applicant must be pre-approved by the Action MC. The Action MC has given the mandate to perform this task to the STSM Committee.
- Attendance at European conferences is preferred. However, conferences held elsewhere can also be considered.
ITC Conference Grant applications will be coordinated and evaluated as the STSM Grant applications. Before submission of your application, please familiarise yourself with the following documents:
- Excerpt from the COST Vademecum,
- ITC Conference Grant User guide,
- Template for ITC Conference Grant Report.
 An individual who is within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate (full-time equivalent).
 Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Serbia, and Turkey.